Five Mental Steps to Lending Aid
- Notice an event.
- Understand that the event is urgent.
- Assume responsibility.
- Know what type of aid to deliver.
- Decide to act.
Four Mental Steps to Courageous Action
- Experience fear or discomfort (accept the fear).
- Understand that action is a choice despite the negative feelings (do not let the fear dictate your fate).
- Feel confident enough in the outcome (even if uncertain) or in the necessity of the action (focus on positive possible outcomes).
- Decide to act (engage your courage).
Biswas-Diener, R. (2012). The courage quotient: How science can make you braver. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.